Friday, January 7, 2011

The Gascon covering.

Gascon officer had obtained from Louis XIV a gratuity of one hundred fifty pistols, and his order in hand, he entered, unannounced, at Mr. Colbert, who was dining with some lords.
- Which of you gentlemen, "he said with emphasis that proved his country, which I pray you is Mr. Colbert?
- Me, sir, "replied the minister, what is it for you?
- A trifle, sir, this is a reward of one hundred fifty pistols m'escompter need in the moment.
Mr. Colbert, who saw that the character lent itself to fun, asked permission to finish dinner and he gets impatient least he would ask him to dinner with him.
- Willingly, "replied the Gascon, so I have not dined well.
The meal done, the minister, who took the time to prevent the chief clerk, told the officer he can get into the office and that his money is waiting; the Gascon happens ... but we do account it a hundred pistols.
- Kid-you, sir, he told the clerk, or do you not see that my order is one hundred and fifty?
- Sir, "replied the docket, I see your order very well, but I retain fifty pistoles for dinner.
- CADED, fifty pistols, it costs me twenty floors in my hostel.
- I agree, but you do not have the advantage of dining with the Minister.
- Well, either, "said the Gascon, in this case, sir, keep everything, I will bring one of my friends tomorrow and we shall be quits.
Response and that joke had caused a moment amused the court were added to fifty pistoles gratification of the Gascon, who triumphantly returned to his country, praised dinners Mr. Colbert, Versailles and how it to reward the projections of the Garonne.

No comments:

Post a Comment